Year One:
Blackest Night - Jimmy
LexCom - Gina
Another Teen Titans Death - Jimmy
New Robin - Clark
Kryptonians - Lois
Libra - Perry
Intergang - Cat
S.T.A.R. Labs - Gina
Removal of Superboy Memorial - Ron
Metropolis Meteors Win - Steve
Bruce Wayne? - Lois
Mon-El - Ron
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "feel" of the series would be like The Wire season 5 meets Gotham Central, but without being as bleak as either of them. As far as style, I would shoot for something very similar to 52, where some stories were featured heavily in one issue, then barely touched on or not touched on at all in the next. Everything from that two-page spread in the script would be touched on at some point. I used what I thought to be some of more basic and immediate ideas and made those my "Year One" stories. Some stories would blossom into others either late into year one or into year two, others would intersect similar again to 52, and some would run the course of the series...which in my mind is the end of year three. If the imaginary market for this imaginary book supported it enough, I could easily take it longer.
Year One would involve getting Lois and Clark out of Metropolis. Obviously Clark can get back whenever he wants. I wanted Lois out to keep her from being a leech on the other stories. I gave her the Kryptonians story as a way to possibly inform her even more so of who her husband is and where he comes from. A good amount of the rest of the year would keep everyone else in Metropolis and have those people interacting with each other as well as with background characters that might be developed more as time goes on.
Of course there's a few hurdles with writing a book like this. With it being a story about a NEWSpaper, current events would need to be touched on to keep the book relevant. I wrote the pitch and script in November 2009 and some of those ideas aren't really applicable anymore (hell, the Kryptonian thing is almost out the window by this point). Knowing what's coming would help so that those things can be worked in at the appropriate time and approached from the right angle.
Well, I guess that's it for now. I may revisit this if any further ideas come. I would buy this book if it existed and I would absolutely love to write it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like it. I don't think I would buy it, but it's definetly a cool approach to supermans world.
ReplyDeleteIs Bruce Wayne still the owner of the Daily Planet?
ReplyDeleteAs far as I know, yes. At the ass end of Dini's Detective and in Streets of Gotham, it was shown that Hush got plastic surgery done so he looks like Bruce now. I figured it would be a way to work that in while Bruce is unstuck in time or whatever his deal is.
ReplyDelete