Sunday, January 2, 2011

Thoughts on DC Universe Online Beta part 2

Everyone gets the same introductory mission, regardless of what side of the morality line they fall in. You're on one of Brainiac's ships (if you don't know the story by this point, please look up a trailer or two) and you've been captured. Depending on if you're a Hero or Villain, Oracle or The Calculator will direct you towards escape. It's basically a tutorial on how to play, though they don't really seem to explain much, at least in the beta. At the end, you meet up with either Superman or Lex Luthor, and fight waves of easy bad guys until it stops, then you teleport off the ship to either Gotham or Metropolis.

I must say, the cities have a very Iconic feel to them. All the "boroughs" of the cites are there. The landmarks are present also. If you want to see the Daily Planet building, the LexCorp tower, or even the Superman statue in the park, they're there. Crime Alley? Arkham Asylum, Wayne Tower? Leslie Thompkins' hospital? Those are all there also. Gotham is always night while Metropolis is always day. Heroes can teleport to the Watchtower in order to teleport between the cities. Villains have the Hall of Doom that functions the same.

As far as playing, the missions are basic but fun. You're always transporting, defending, destroying, defeating, or retrieving some person or thing. It feels like the free-roaming Spider-Man games but with two huge cities to play with. There's even time-trial "races" and tokens to collect. But...oh yeah...there's people EVERYWHERE playing. The only part you do solo is the boss fights, where you enter an area like the Gotham Sewers or the Metrodome and then you're alone.

Lots of glitches and bugs, though. I was playing on Saturday and fell through the world three times within an hour. Also, there's "exploration" quests where you explore one of the boroughs and activate kiosks there with voiceover from the one and only Booster Gold talking about the history or importance of that specific place. The problem is, sometimes the kiosks aren't there. Sometimes you can just run around the block and come back to find it but other times you may have to leave the city and come back.

This is supposed to come out in just over a week? These aren't the only problems I've seen.

All in all, a very fun game. I don't think I'll pick it up personally, since I'd rather not pay for my online usage.

I may do a follow-up detailing some things I left out but I think this gives a pretty detailed view of the game so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment